CHINA (East Asia)
Population: 1.34 Billion
1 Billion Chinese are above 18 years old
Fertility Rate: 5.5 children/woman (1970s) vs. 1.6 children/woman (2010)
Life Expectancy: 63 years (1970s) vs. 73 years (2010)
Infant mortality: 16 deaths / 1000 live births
Male/Female Ratio: 1.06 male / female
Major Religions: Taoism and Buddhism
– The first country to launch the ‘one child per couple’ policy.
– By 2020, there will be 30 million more men than women in this country.
– Abortion has been legal since 1953. Over 35,000 forced and coerced abortions a day
– One in every five marriages now ends in divorce.
– It has the highest rate of contraceptive use in the world with 85% prevalence among women. Sterilization and IUD are the preferred forms of contraception.
-Fudan University in Shanghai offered China’s first undergraduate gay studies course in 2003.
– First gay pride event inShanghaiin June 2009
– Nearly 500 million people lack access to safe drinking water
– 1 million people die from cigarette smoking each year.