JAPAN (East Asia)
Population: 127 Million
– More than 23% of the population are aged 65 or above.
Fertility Rate: 2.1 children/woman in 1970 vs. 1.4 children/woman in 2010
Life Expectancy: 72 years (1970) vs. 83 years (2010)
Infant mortality: 2.21 deaths/1,000 live births
Male/Female Ratio: 0.94 male(s)/female
Major Religions: Shintoism, Buddhism
– Japan is aging faster than any country in history.
– It has the highest life expectancy in the world.
– One Japanese commits suicide every 15 minutes.
– Abortion has been legal in Japan since 1949. Around 300,000 abortions have been conducted in Japan each year. One out of three Japanese women has had an abortion.
– Japan legalized the contraceptive pill in 1999.
– One in every four marriages ends in divorce. Some couples are celebrating the end of their marriages before family and friends with “divorce ceremonies”.
-Japan is the largest producer of child pornography. Its sex industry is worth an estimated $30 billion, second only to its automobile industry
– The first Gay and Lesbian Parade in Japan was held in 1992.
– Only in Japan do the sales of adult diapers exceed those for babies.