RUSSIA (North Asia)
Population: 138 million
Male/Female Ratio: 0.85 male(s)/female
Fertility Rate: 1.43 children born/woman
Life Expectancy: 66.46 years
Infant mortality: 9.88 deaths/1,000 live births
Divorce rate: 2.54 divorces / 1000 marriages
Major Religions: Orthodox Christianity, Islam
– Russian population is also aging rapidly: by 2025, one person in every ﬁve will be over the age of 65.
– Russia was the first country in the world to legalize abortion in 1920. It is the leading method of birth control.
– 1,022 abortions are committed for every 1,000 births. Russian women have an average of 2.5 abortions in their lifetime
– On 21 October 2011, the Russian Parliament passed a law restricting abortion to the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, with exceptions. The new law also made mandatory a waiting period of two to seven days before an abortion can be performed, to allow the woman to “reconsider her decision”.
– There are 60 divorces for every 100 marriages.
– Russia ranks number one in world alcohol spending. The Russians consume about 18 liters of pure alcohol per person a year, more than twice the internationally recommended limit.
– About 500,000 Russians die annually from alcohol-related accidents, crimes and illnesses. Alcohol poisoning kills more than 23,000 Russians each year.
– There are over 2 million alcoholics in the country. The number of Russian children aged 10-14 who drinks alcohol exceeds 10 million.
– Russia is a major source of women trafficked globally for the purpose of sexual exploitation.
– Russia possesses the largest stockpile of weapons of mass destruction in the world. It is the world’s top supplier of arms, accounting for around 30% of worldwide weapons sales and exporting weapons to about 80 countries.